Do Your Clothes Take Longer Than 30 Minutes to Dry?
If your dryer is getting warm, or hot, to the touch, then the problem is NOT your clothes dryer. If your Dryer Vent clogs or restricts, it sounds like you’ll need a dryer vent cleaning. This is not the lint screen that you clean after each dryer load. It is the duct pipe that runs from your laundry room and inside your walls. It terminates either through the roof or a side wall.
Other symptoms to watch for are:
- Clothes dryer is getting too hot Excessive lint in your laundry room
- Heating element cuts off intermittently
- Laundry room is overly hot or humid
- Lint collecting on a small area of the lint screen, or on the back of the screen
Have you ever heard of a clothes dryer catching fire? If not, don’t feel bad. Most people are not aware of the fire hazard they can find in their own laundry room. What you don’t know can kill you.
Did You Know?
The latest Consumer Product Safety Commission figures show that there were 16,800 dryer fires which caused 30 deaths, 430 injuries and 97.3 million dollars in property damage on average each year. And dryer related home fires are increasing at an alarming rate.
This is because more and more new homes are being built with the washer and dryer inside the home, far from an exterior wall…which usually means a very long clothes dryer vent! Every time you dry clothes, microscopic particles of lint get past the lint screen in the dryer and deposit themselves in the long dryer vent, eventually clogging the vent. With a clogged exhaust vent, the clothes dryer has a difficult time doing its job safely!
Why You Need To Have Your Dryer Vent Cleaned Regularly
1. Fire Hazard. First, and worst of all, when the vent is clogged, flammable lint is more likely to back up into the dryer and ignite causing a fire which can spread to the rest of the home.
2. Carbon Monoxide Hazard. In the event that you have a dryer that uses natural gas or propane, a second hazard is carbon monoxide poisoning. With the exhaust vent clogged, carbon monoxide can get backed up into the home, further threatening the health of the occupants.
3. Longer Drying Time / Wasted Energy. If your dryer is taking longer to dry clothes than it should, it’s very likely your vent is WAY OVERDUE for a cleaning! When the vent is clogged, the clothes take much longer to dry, and consequently more energy is wasted. Higher utility bills and aggravation are the results of putting up with longer drying times. It’s not uncommon to think that you need a new dryer because it doesn’t dry like it used to.
4. Dryer Overheats/ Wears Out Prematurely. When the Vent is clogged with lint, the dryer can overheat causing the heating element and other expensive parts to wear out prematurely. Why pay repair bills or replace a dryer prematurely when you can avoid it?
What should I do?
If it turns out that you do have one of the really long dryer vents, it is best to have it cleaned and inspected on a regular basis. With specialized tools designed specifically for dryer vent cleaning, American Chimney technicians are able to clean long vents of any configuration thoroughly, regardless of length, twists, or turns. With regular scheduled maintenance, the chances of a dryer fire and carbon monoxide poisoning are drastically reduced, and the lifespan of the dryer is prolonged. Having your clothes dryer vent cleaned regularly is your ticket to peace of mind.
[button linking=”default” link=”/amchim/schedule-appointment” align=”center” size=”medium” type=”wide” style=”solid” icon=”calendar-empty” title=”Schedule Appointment”]Schedule Appointment[/button]