Did you know that approximately 70% of electricity is lost in generation and transportation? Making electric powered appliances only approximately 30% efficient. Those numbers are shocking to some homeowners. Another shocking statistic is that gas extraction and transportation cause only around a 10 percent loss, leaving a gas-fueled appliance to be up to 90% efficient!

Why Gas over Wood?

You can turn off the pilot light during the warmer months when a gas furnace or gas log set is not needed, which in return will save you money. Plus, using a gas appliance allows you the convenience of not having to do any major work in order to get a fire started.

Wood burning appliances require building the fire, stoking, and feeding the fire, not to mention the acquisition of wood to burn. All of these steps can be stressful, time-consuming, and unpleasant. Especially to fetch wood that is stored outside in the woodpile when it is very cold.

Zone heating is another thing to consider regarding gas appliances. Heating only the area of the house you are using at the time will help you to save money.

Picture of a lit gas appliance
Gas appliance

Stoves that do not require electricity to start up can be lifesavers in the cold months if the power goes out. This heating source is reliable as well as convenient. You should have any gas appliance inspected yearly by a certified professional in order to ensure it is working properly and will not pose a threat to the health or the safety of the home. The fireplace damper must be opened completely when you operate a gas appliance. To ensure there is no obstruction in airflow, you must make sure there is nothing stored nearby.

Therefore, if you still have questions about gas appliances, check out our Ask the Chimney Blogs! If you still want to learn more there is plenty of information on our website!

Schedule to get your fireplace upgrade!